Sunday, November 18, 2007

Try it ... you'll like it!

I don't generally have multiple posts per day, but Laurie Schmidlin has some wonderful blog candy at her blog today. It got me thinking about my Mom's raison spice cake, and I thot I'd post the recipe here. I LOVE this stuff, and her hermit cookies ... and ... well, suffice to say I love my Mom's cookin'!

Raison Spice Cake - from the kitchen of my Mom, Sylvia

Simmer 1 cup seedless raisons with 2 cups water and 1 stick margarine for 10 minutes after being brought to boil.

In large bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups flour, 1 cup granualted sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/8 tsp each of salt, cloves, cinamon, nutmeg, and allspice.

Add raison mixture and mix well (I'd use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula rather than a mixer for the entire recipe)

Add 1 egg and beat well.

Bake 35 minutes at 375 degree oven in 8x8x2 pan.

Optional glazing: add a few drops of boiling water at a time to 1/2 cup confectionate sugar.

I'll add a picture here in the next few days - my sister's asked Mom to bring it Thursday - unless I'm bitten by the bug to make it earlier for my clan!

No comments: